Monday, June 15, 2009

In the arms of an angel

Recently I was out with some friends at a bar where I was drunker than should've been and mad at the fella I was with. Finding myself in this situation I did what I do best, I found the loneliest looking 40 something sitting at the bar and turned on my mad flirting skills (which aren't so much 'mad' as they are incredibly sad. In fact, my mother worries). From what I recall the rapport was very good with this gentleman, let's call him Pete (Pete possibly being his real name, but again I am foggy on the details). I learned a lot about Pete in a short amount of time; he was divorced with 2 children, he had rescued a lab/pit bull mix (cue the Sarah McLachlan music!), and most importantly, Pete had just opened a burger joint called 'Fat Patties'. Since Pete and I had bonded so well I decided to talk to him about my outrage with Steak'n'Shake, and how they wouldn't put soy cheese on a burger for me. After a crass joke about lactose intolerance that I refuse to repeat because I believe that I should never have had to hear it in the first place (I am a lady after all), pete told me that if I came into his restaraunt he would put soy cheese on my burger." Fuck those codes" said Pete. Twas such a romantic gesture. Pete also said something about the two of us taking his dog for a walk, and I agreed (of course), and set a date for him to expect me.

I almost went too. Almost... In the end I was too worried that I would actually end up walking this gentleman's dog and in true pushover fashion meeting his kids and ex-wife, and then, before I knew it I would be marrying this gutsy hamburger entrepreneur. It's disappointing because who knows when an oppurtunity will arise like this again. I just have to keep telling myself; there's always another bar, always another hamburger joint, always another lonely 40 something desperate for a young girl who will walk with him and his dog...
"Spend all your time waiting for that second chance
For the break that will make it ok
There's always some reason to feel not good enough
And it's hard at the end of the day...
In the arms of an Angel, fly away from here..."
-Arms of An Angel by Sarah McLachlan.

No comments:

Post a Comment